Everybody knows that exercise is important to stay healthy, but do we know why? Our mostly nomadic ancestors spent most of their time moving, searching for food and shelter, travelling long distances on foot every day. Our bodies are designed in exactly the same way, but our lifestyles are much different today.
For these reasons, we need to improve on our activity levels, to gain the full potential of our bodies.
Regular Exercise will be beneficial for the following:
- Exercise is beneficial for General Good Health: Regular exercise will reduce blood pressure and that will mean less stress on your heart. It reduces LDL, bad cholesterol, and increase HDL, the good cholesterol. Exercise increases your heart rate and that will strengthen the heart muscle. All in all, exercise is beneficial to your heart.
- Exercise can help lower the risk for type 2 Diabetes: Exercise helps in the control of glucose levels in your blood. Regular exercise will also help to prevent obesity. Obesity can be a primary factor in type 2 diabetes’ development.
- Higher Energy Levels: Regular exercise or physical activity can improve your endurance, you won’t feel winded after carrying your groceries, anymore, and boost your muscle strength. When your exercise, more oxygen, and nutrients reach your cells and it also helps your cardiovascular system’s efficiency, improving your heart and lungs. Improved heart and lungs are equal to more energy.
- Exercise will improve your mood: Exercise is a wonderful way to blow off steam when you had a bad or stressful day. Going to the gym or going for a walk will stimulate feel-good chemicals in your brain. That is one reason why you feel happier after physical activity. Another reason would be that with regular exercise you will also feel better about your appearance.
- Exercise can be enjoyable and fun: Doing something outdoors with family and friends will give you time to unwind, doing activities that you like, engaging in physical activities in a social setting will prove to be fun. Or, take dancing lessons, join a soccer team, try something new with friends. Find a physical activity that makes you happy.
While there are some treatments out there that can help with weight loss (here’s an example), you won’t see success without a good diet and regular fitness. Aim for at least 150 minutes each week to engage in moderate intensity exercise. It will boost your health, make you feel happier and better, and can also provide fun for part of your week.